Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Random Notes about PA

Some random observations about the Allentown area:
  • the local library is TINY. It's a one room library, which doesn't work very well with a 2 year old. The first time there the librarians even whispered at the front desk. The second time was actually really loud, so maybe we'll be okay. I guess it depends on the day. I might try braving downtown to check out the library there.
  • there's at least one section of town - where the mall and lots of other shopping is - where you can't make left hand turns. You have to turn right in order to turn left. It's really frustrating, especially when you don't know exactly where you're going.
  • Reading (as in Reading Railroad) is pronounced Red-ing. There is a town called Reading, we are in the Reading Stake, and in Philadelphia there is the Reading Terminal Market. Who would have thought I (along with most normal people) have been pronouncing it wrong all my life. I looked it up and we can blame in on the Brits. Apparently there's a town in England spelled Reading, pronounced Red-ing.
  • there is no sales tax on clothing. Brent figured out that all "necessities" are not taxed - food, clothing, diapers, etc. It's quite nice. I guess that might mean we get slammed with income taxes, that's yet to be seen.
  • the "DMV" is bizarre. They don't really have one. You go to the Driver's License Center to get your driver's license, fair enough. But to register your car you have to go to these random agencies, who do everything from insurance to car registration. I guess the nice thing is there is no long line to wait in, but it's still weird. It's also really hard and more expensive to register your car if you have a loan on it. Again, that's weird.

3 comments:

  1. I made almost the same observations. So strange. Did you go to Yurconic Agency?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh look, a small library. Maybe I should read all your posts before I write. DMV waits? I have no idea what you're talking about. In CO they have different offices for the different things (license, registration etc.) and there weren't often lines. I think all the local gov't should find out what works best (around the country) and copy it. NV could use A LOT of improvement in case you have forgotten those 4 or 5 hour waits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tamar took me to the Reading terminal when I came to visit. It's AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete